Through the mind and eyes of a never-named local citizen, we visit Claxbury Corners. Given haphazardly woven flashbacks, we manage to get a feel for the fabric of this small community, meet and come to understand its residents, and experience their joys and sorrows spanning perhaps something over two decades.
Where? It really doesn’t matter, though if you pay attention, you’ll gather it’s a bucolic small town in Michigan. It could be anywhere.
When? A ‘gas station’ attendant pumps gasoline for a customer in the opening episode. Place that beginning of the tale anywhere it makes you comfortable.
Why? Well, why not?
Claxbury Corners © spwilcenski 2021-2022
Episode (links open in new windows)
At baseball practice, suddenly it’s “Coach” Tackertt.
An avocational shift for Leron
Fire Department Chief Drew Martin has a couple of requests.
At the Claxbury Playhouse – Bruno Brubaker, Winnifred Gottlieb, and the Cousins.
To run or not to run. Is that the question?
Snookered into understudying the lead. You know, just in case…
Bobby Martin comes home.
Closing Which Way to Tulsa and prepping for a bold new rendition of Romeo and Juliet.
A bit of sadness visits a softball game.
Recovering from a tragedy of sorts.
Changes that occurred and afoot in the Claxbury newspaper business.
Bobby meets the river again. Will Winnifred and Bruno marry? Leron’s predicament. The Claxbury Clarion sees some big changes.
“Mayor,” as he promised Bruno, and was muscled by long-time Mayor Don Robinson, stood election for mayor.
Cynthia Ellis visits from her show biz career in New York. A brief visit with former Mayor Don Robinson and ongoing difficulties for Leron Tackertt.
Difficulty for Leron. Sounds like something big coming for the Clarion and Trader Enterprises.
Changes materialize for the Clarion, Bobby Martin, Larry Patterson, and the Mayor. Something in the offing for Leron’s Auto Clinic.
Unhappy events in Claxbury, like everywhere else. Some simply sad, a few tragic.
The “mayor” finally retires. Replacing fallen servants.
The “mayor” closes-out with a few updates on “where are they now?”
Author’s closing thoughts.
Total read time
Narrator as a character (2) Retired owner of Claxbury Clarion
- “Bonnie” Jean Brubaker (unnamed 5) 13,14 Younger of Bruno Brubaker’s older sisters
- Daddy Brubaker (5)
- Junior Brubaker (14) 15,16 Son of Bonnie Jean Brubaker and unnamed man, adopted by Bruno and Winnifred
- Momma Brubaker (5) 14
- Nancy Brubaker (5) 13,14,16 Elder of Bruno Brubaker’s older sisters
- Walter “Bruno” Brubaker (5) 6,7,8,9,10,11,12,13,14,15,16 Local Pharmacy owner; organizer and director of the Claxbury Theatre Group in the Claxbury Playhouse
- Winnifred (nee Gottlieb) Brubaker (5) 6,7,8,9,10,11,12,13,14,15,16 Thespian at Claxbury Playhouse
- Bob Cousins (5) 6,7,8,9,10,11,13 Thespian at the Claxbury Playhouse
- Estelle Cousins (5) 7,8,9,10,11,13,14 Bob Cousins’ wife
- Coach Elkins (2) 3,4,6 Baseball coach at Claxbury High School
- Cynthia Ellis (6) 9,15 (unnamed until 9)HS Senior who “fixes” Bruno’s ailing Romeo and Juliet stage play
- (Isaac) “Bumper” Johnson (1) 11,13,14,15,16 Attendant/Mechanic at Leron Tackertt’s service station
- Bobby Martin (4) 6,8,10,12,13,14,15,16 Drew Martin’s son
- Corrine (nee Waltham) Martin (4) 5,10,11,14 Waitress at Madge’s Restaurant
- Drew Martin (3) 4,5,6,8,10,11,12,13,14,15 Claxbury’s Fire Chief
- June Maverson (1) 2,3,4,5,6,10,12,14,15,16 Soon to retire spinster Claxbury High School Literature teacher
- Shaun O’Connor (4) 6,8,13,14,15,16 Claxbury Corners Police Chief
- Lawrence “Larry” Patterson (4) 6,8,12,13,14,16 Claxbury Clarion editor
- Donald “Don” Robinson (7) 8,10,11,12,13,14,15 Claxbury mayor
- Fiona (nee Waters) Tackertt (10) 11,12,13,14,15,16 Girls’ Physical Education Teacher at Claxbury High
- Leron Tackertt (1) 2,3,4,6,10,11,12,13,14,15,16 Owner of local service station – fuel and auto repair
- Tracy Tackertt (11) 14,15,16 Elder Tackertt twin (named in 16) Into sport
- Tricia Tackertt (11) 14,15,16 Younger Tackertt twin (named in 16) into boys and drama
- Brandonville (10) Nearby town, Claxbury softball rival
- Claxbury Clarion Office (6) 12,13 Local newspaper, becomes Clarion and Trader Enterprises (13)
- Claxbury (Webber) High School ballfields (2) 3,12
- Claxbury Fire Barn (3) 5
- Claxbury Playhouse (5) 12,13,14
- Filo’s (4) Grocery or supermarket
- Madge’s Diner (3) 4,5,16 In town restaurant
- Newton (10) 12,13,16 Larger city somewhere outside Claxbury’s county; Hospital, Cardiac Care Center, and Convalescent Home
- Ottawassee River (The Angry Witch) (14) 15 river in/near Claxbury
- Pittsfield (2) 12 Nearby town in Claxbury’s athletic conference
- Sandy Beach (6) 12 Nearby town
- Leron (Tackertt’s) Service Station (1) ,15 Later called the Automobile Clinic
- Winfield (2) Nearby town in Claxbury’s athletic conference